Dementia Aware is a recognition that helps individuals and businesses to welcome and include those living with dementia through a smaller time investment than our flagship program…
Dementia Inclusive is a recognition that shows individuals or whole businesses have learned practices and tactics to serve those living with dementia and have a commitment to awareness and better service.
Businesses choosing to become Dementia Inclusive or Dementia Aware have two primary objectives:
1) To support their customers
2) To support their employees
1. Dementia Aware
This recognition is achievable by completing the 2 core modules:
• The Basics of Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease as presented by the Alzheimer’s Association
• What is Dementia Inclusive?
Companies that have 80% of the employees complete the Dementia Aware course work earn the recognition of being Dementia Aware OR companies can simply offer to their team members the program for individual achievement and recognition.
2. Dementia Inclusive
This recognition is achievable by completing the 2 core modules and then 3 additional courses of each employee’s choosing.
These courses are self-paced and your progress is tracked, so you can see how well you are progressing toward your personal and/or organizational goals.
Companies that have 80% of the employees complete the Dementia Inclusive coursework earn the recognition of being Dementia Inclusive OR companies can simply offer each team member individual achievement and recognition.
• The Basics: Memory Loss, Dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disease – Created by the Alzheimer’s Association
• Know the Ten Signs of Dementia: Early Detection Matters – Created by the Alzheimer’s Association
• What is a Dementia Inclusive Business?
• Basic Inclusive Practices for Excellent Customer Service
1. How to make a person with dementia feel comfortable while visiting your business
2. How to make a caregiver feel comfortable while visiting your business
• Removing the stigma of dementia
• Why a person with dementia acts the way she does
1. Understanding how “acting out” is really a form of communication
2. Understanding how to interpret and respond to that form of communication
How to Get Started
Step 1: Let Us Know You Are Interested!
• From the top of the website, click on the “Get Signed Up” link and then fill out the form.
Step 2: We will contact the person listed in order to get the ball rolling
• A champion at your organization will be identified to help enroll your team.
• We will help customize an achievable plan for your company.
• We will go over the enrollment, launch and education process.
• We will share communication tools and how to introduce this initiative to your team so they get excited!
Step 3: Enrollment and Getting Started
• Employees will receive an email welcoming them to the Dementia Inclusive portal.
• They will create a unique user password and then they have full access to the education sessions and resource tool kit.
Step 4: Monitoring Progress
• Your organizational champion will have access to a dashboard that will help track employees’ progress through the training.
• When modules are finished, you can print certificates of completion.
• You can send messages of encouragement to keep on going.
Step 5: Celebrate!
• You will have access to a full tool kit of certificates, messages, press releases and suggestions for recognition within your company and also how to weave this recognition into your marketing messages.
• You’ll receive recognition on Chamber websites.